With all the work and thought you have put into finding a new job, you should be more than ready to get down to the actual task of finding the right fit for you. Your prospects for success should be significantly better than when you started.
A job search is about truly connecting with people and presenting your story in the best possible light. You’ve prepared the latter, now it’s time to connect.
- Reach out to any recruiters you have identified. If they have procedures for sending unsolicited resumes, use them. Otherwise, contact the companies.
- Talk to people online in forums specific to your desired work. Casually ask about job opportunities where appropriate.
- In cases where you haven’t already, ask your friends and family about potential job opportunities.
- Review the job opportunities at companies you would like to work. If you don’t see a relevant job at a company, reach out to people at those companies and ask about opportunities.
- Start reviewing job boards for posted positions.
- Contact specific employers.
As a tip, don’t hesitate to apply for a position where you don’t perfectly match the requirements in an ad. Many positions are filled by people that are not the perfect match on paper. The general rule of thumb is if you qualify for 80% of what they are asking for, you should apply. You never know what your competition is going to look like.
Also, remember to stay positive. Finding a new job can be stressful. Consider reading my article on the importance of a positive mindset.